Friday, April 11, 2014

Science

One thing I really love about Home School, is that I am learning to.

This year we decided to challenge Jason to learn Chemistry.  I was nervous about this because I don't do science well.  I stumbled on this great book.


The book promised that anyone could teach Chemistry.  It was right.  The book is Christian, it gives Bible quotes that go along with each lesson.  It also gives "G" rated movie recommendations that go along with the lessons.  

I sometimes get a little leery of some Christian based books.  Some take a very anti Catholic approach.  While I believe in the Bible, I don't want to combine science and a Bible lesson.  However, I also don't want to take the approach that Science disproves God.  

I think this book balances it perfectly.  It references God and the Bible, but sticks to the proven facts as well.  

The questions is.........is Jason learning Chemistry?  Yes.  He has a firm understanding of the Periodic Table of Elements. He understands chemical bonds, acids and bases and so much more.  It gives you hands on projects that use stuff that can be found around the house.  This book was completely worth the money.  I am so happy with it, that we are going to do the Physics book next year.




Here is Jason showing his experiment on chemical reactions.  On the right is a normal uncooked egg.  On the left is a uncooked egg after 24 hours of soaking in vinegar. 

Another great thing about homeschool.....you don't have to comb your hair for class.

No comments: